Why is the project needed?
Approximately 160,000 teens skip school every day because of bullying, in Europe. Physical bullying increases in elementary school, peaks in middle school and declines in high school. Daily, calls relative to the bullying phenomenon to the National Helpline for Children SOS 1056 increases. Parents, teachers and students ask for advices on managing these phenomenon, feeling very often trapped. Recognize and respond early and effectively to behaviors that can lead to bullying through information, awareness and training are first and essential steps that must be done to cope with this pan-European problem. The project aims to prepare children to recognize and respond effectively to early bullying behavior avoiding to affect their emotional status. Create an environment where everyone understands that bullying behaviors are unacceptable, harmful, and preventable. Empower beneficiaries to intervene to prevent and stop bullying. Bullying includes: Hits, threats, intimidation, teasing, nicknames, mockery, spread rumours excluding victims from different social and school activities, sexual harassment or damage to the personal belongings of the victim.
The overall objective of the project is to create an innovative educative and informative program for prevention and sensitization school communities regarding school violence and bullying in order to reduce the school dropout.
What are the project objectives?
The specific objectives of the project are therefore to:
- The utilization of the shadow theatre heroes with the use of audio-visual & ICT tools for the education and information of target groups regarding bullying.
- Development of training material based on the audio-visual & ICT tools and conduction of training seminars & webinars in order the target groups of the project to develop new skills that will enable them to managing of bullying.
- Conduction of informative campaign for informing target groups about the new tools and methodology of managing bullying in schools.
What does the project address?
The project is structured so that results directly benefit three target groups:
- The final users: children and teachers. Teachers will be directly involved in the project activities through training and education in interactive way and children will be able to learn through playing and explore their personal capacities.
- School responsibles and experts in the educational sector: social workers, educational institutions, psychologists also participating in the production of outputs, surveys, and the elaboration of results, factors of failure – risks - assumptions, consultants and supporting staff from all partners.
- Partner organisations and cooperating stakeholders, at local, regional and national level.
What does the project offer?
Based on primary and secondary research and thorough need analysis, it will be developed innovative activities in education, awareness and training addressed to children, educators - teachers, parents and professionals of the private and public sector, in a consolidated effort to tackle bullying and set up stronger antibullying activities. The main activities and outputs are
- Production of a video presenting a bullying story containing antibullying reaction from the victim, using the traditional shadow theatre heroes of Karagkiozis, Veligkekas, and Kollitiria. Its purpose is to aware, inform and educate on bullying and antibullying activities combining modern with traditional, putting in evidence values and attitudes, an international effort.
- Teachers' training of primary and secondary schools, at school, for information / education and awareness. Development of training methodology, on terms of children's rights, social values, influences.
- Production of an e-game using shadow heroes, containing different levels of difficulty as learning tool for values of self-respect, and respect for others, personal integrity, violence, children rights, family, friends and society as key influences on a young person.